Monday, April 03, 2006

Racing the rats.

The more I think about it, the more enticing self-employment becomes.

I would lose the kudos of a university position, but I hardly think I need that any more. When I win a grant, I win it on my own merits, not those of the university. When I operate as a consultant, the university charges enormous amounts of money for my time, but my pay stays the same.

Worst of all, my work is overseen by Orson. Without him, there would be no restrictions on what I study, nor on what I publish. My last two investigations were blocked by Orson, so I've had them fictionalised by a ghost writer. The events are real, but if it's published as fiction then Orson can't do anything about it. They don't even have my name on the cover.

So I'm thinking, why not operate as an independent researcher and consultant? I can charge less than the university and still make a tidy profit.

Yes, Imogen will get this job if I leave, but so what? She won't be my problem.

What I need to do is to work out how to tell Elaine. I'll still need an assistant. This time she won't have to move house though.

All she'll have to do is resign when I do.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Or perhaps Elaine and Imogen would end up department co-chairwomen and you'd end up with no assistant? Poetic justice.

Anonymous said...

"All she'll have to do is resign when I do."

Who will pay her? Will she be employee or partner? A girl has to think of such things.

Romulus Crowe said...

Ah, poor heyjude, thinking of Elaine. Do you really imagine the leFevre woman would allow Elaine to reach such dizzy heights? No, if she took over here she would think no differently than I do about that idea.

I already fund Elaine's salary through research grants. The only chabge would be that there'd be no parasitic administration takling their percentage. She will be employee, naturally. I don't need a partner.

Anonymous said...

Same salary. No chance for advancement to partner. Elaine seems a superior assistant. What's in it for her?

Romulus Crowe said...

She gets to work with me. That's going to boost her career and her publication list. Anyway, who said it'd be the same salary? I won't have to pay the massive overheads those admin parasites demand to keep themselves in plush carpet. It'll be a higher salary. Plus bonuses when we get a good one.

I won't make her a partner because I'll be funding the whole thing. When she's getting grants, the situation might change.

Anyway, that's what I'll tell her.

Anonymous said...

But she also wants to teach. how can you provide that oportunity?

Romulus Crowe said...

Teach? Nobody wants to teach. It's something we do to keep our academic status.

Postgraduate students are worthwhile. Undergraduates are, at best, an inconvenience.

Besides, the university is short of lecturing staff. She can still teach there, if it suits her.

Anonymous said...

And If Elaine's there...well, you'll still have a foot in the door so to speak. Even if the foot isn't actually your own. :)

Romulus Crowe said...

Such deviousness could only come from a female mind. It hadn't occurred to me to leave Elaine at the university to report on Imogen's tricks.

It's a good idea though. I'll give it some thought. Elaine can always come and work for me part-time.

opinions powered by SendLove.to