Tuesday, April 11, 2006

No news is bad news

I read the news today.

I don't usually bother, but someone left a newspaper in the coffee room, so I had a look.

Does nothing important happen in this country any more?

Many, many trivia questions about the Queen. Is there no respect? Why do I care whether she owns the dolphins in British territorial waters? I doubt the dolphins care, so why would I?

Who the hell is Wayne Rooney, and why does the newspaper speculate on whether he's still friends with someone called Michael Owens?

This is the stuff of the glossy magazines so beloved of gossiping women, not what I expect to find in a newspaper. Rooney and Owens might be the best of friends, or they might want to rip each other's heads off, or maybe they've never met.

Who cares?

If you're going to produce a newspaper, put news in it. Leave the gossip to the supermarket glossies.

I won't read the news again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too try to avoid the news as much as possible. Today I turned on the radio and heard the transcript of the last moments of pilots of the doomed 911 flight. Wish I hadn't listened. Hope their families never do.

Anonymous said...

Hey Rom,
You like to analyze the news. What's your take on this article? http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20060410/superglue_tec.html?source=rss

Maybe it's really bacteria who rule the world?
or at least keep us from coming unglued?

Anonymous said...

Interesting!
Maybe orbs are actually orbs dancing around in the air searching for just the right - ummm - victim - to stick with?
D'ya think so Rom?

Romulus Crowe said...

Lola - as I understand it, the families heard the transcripts a long time ago, but were sworn not to reveal their contents.

Heyjude - of course bacteria rule the world. They fix nitrogen into the soil for plants to grow, and they return it to the air when those plants die. That's just one example. We all live or die at the whim of these apparently insignificant creatures.

Mouse - Orbs are bunk. There's nothing else to say.

opinions powered by SendLove.to