Friday, April 14, 2006

Christians and science

Don't put all Christians together. Evolution and creation go together okay if you stop reading parables like they aren't parables. A christian and a scientist can be the same person.

I realise not all Christians, nor all those of other religions, are vehement anti-evolutionists. Also, there are scientists who are also followers of religion. I can think of several of my own acquaintance.

However, I have limited space and limited spare time to type, so I work with the majority views of those groups. Or at least, what I perceive to be the majority view.

There are Christians who agree with, or are at least open to, the possibility that both creation and evolution could have happened. There are scientists, even some evolutionists, who now believe that evolution is not as random as first thought.

I am neither creationist or evolutionist. I support neither side. I am merely Devil's advocate (or at least, devil's subordinate's advocate) on this issue.

IF creation is correct, it does not preclude a longer timescale than six thousand years, it does not preclude dinosaurs, it does not preclude evolution. You can have both. The six thousand years thing is the result of a human calculation, not of divine inspiration.

In the end, where we came from doesn't matter a jot. Where we're going is far more important.

The second sentence in the comment makes no sense to me. The third I've already agreed with.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The second sentence is about the bible being full of parables. The story about how the world was made is one. Your supposed to know an idea by the story rather than being told all the details which would take a long time.

Romulus Crowe said...

No. Parables are a New Testament issue. The creation story is in Genesis.

I argue with Jehovah's Witnesses, remember. I've studied their source, as they have.

opinions powered by SendLove.to