Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Too short arms.

The solstice is here, and as I'm pretending it's a festival to get away from work, I decided to treat myself to a solstice present.

I bought a CD player for my car. It works as a radio and CD player, that much I understand. It can also play MP3 and WMA, whatever those might be. If I ever happen across one, I at least have the equipment to play it.

It also included a remote control.

I'll pause for a minute to let that sink in.

A remote control.

Why?

When I fitted the thing, I naturally placed it in the centre of the dashboard because a) that seemed like the best place for it and b) that's where the hole was when I took the old one out.

I can reach it. I can reach every button on it, even the ones for which I have no idea of function. I can reach buttons I'm unlikely ever to press. Why am I going to scrabble around for a tiny remote control box?

Is it for backseat passengers, so they can override my music selections? Why would I want that? I'm driving, I control the car and therefore the music. I don't want some idiot turning the volume up full just as I'm making some tricky maneouvre.

Perhaps there are people who install their CD players where they can't reach them? There is a word for such people.

Morons.

If your arms are so short that you need a remote control for your car stereo, you really shouldn't be driving a car.

I think that remote control might become 'inadvertently misplaced'.

No comments:

opinions powered by SendLove.to