Friday, December 30, 2005

Buying a life

It seems lives are for sale. If you want a degree, you no longer have to learn anything, you can simply buy it. The same applies to any other qualification you can think of. If you want to be a baron or a lord, just put up the cash.

Surely it's obvious that these certificates have about as much value as land on the moon?

You try applying to me for a job with a fake qualification and see what you get. The paper means nothing - what I pay for is what you know, and how you apply that knowledge. Having a framed certificate saying you're a PhD does not impress me, nor, I suspect, does it impress any other head of department in the world. Having the skills and knowledge that go with that paper is what impresses me. If you don't have the skills, don't show me the paper.

Unless you enjoy being openly laughed at.

No comments:

opinions powered by SendLove.to