Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Holding on to power.

I bought one of those GPS devices for my car. It took a while to work out how to turn off the female voice that told me where to turn, and which became intolerably smug when I missed a turn. It's silent now. A moving map. That's what I wanted. If I wanted someone to tell me what to do, I'd get married.

The thing runs on an internal rechargeable battery, which reminded me of something I've never mentioned.

Rechargeable batteries are the most infuriating power source ever invented.

Charge them up and put them aside. You know they're fully charged, but if you don't use them they leak power. Where it goes, I have no idea, but the damn things die all on their own.

I have the same problem with my video camera, for which I always have two batteries. The charge doesn't stay. They have to both be charged no more than a day before use, and it takes hours.

So if you charged your camera batteries last week, don't be surprised when your 'fully-charged' battery dies in the middle of an investigation. It's not necessarily ghostly action. It could just be the batteries and their malicious self-draining circuitry.

Whatever happened to clockwork mechanisms?

4 comments:

Kim Smith said...

As a pro videographer since early 90's I can so identify with this post. Batteries are the bane of my filming existence. And let's not begin to THINK about cell batteries. GRRRR.

Romulus Crowe said...

Yes, manifestations have been connected with sudden, inexplicable loss of battery power. On the other hand, sudden loss of battery power doesn't guarantee a paranormal presence is around. Those big packs of cheap batteries have a lot to answer for in this respect, as well as the vagaries of the rechargeables.

I don't need to worry about divorce, but I didn't know the thing logged my every move. I'll have to look into that. It could be useful if I have to prove my expenses claim to the taxman.

tom sheepandgoats said...

In about a half mile, turn left.

Now drive one mile and turn right.

Turn right in one half mile

In about a quarter of a mile, turn right.

Right turn ahead. Slow down.

Slower.

No, that’s not slow enough. Please continue to…..where is your turn signal!?

Okay, turn here.

Whoa! You almost wiped out that little old lady. You didn’t see her? I told you to go slower. Are you listening to me, Romulus?
Now, please continue. Our destination is six miles away. I would like to get there in one piece, if you don’t mind.

In about three miles, turn….please put both hands on the wheel!

After two miles….pardon me? Don’t you speak to me in that tone of voice! No, I will not be quiet! Listen, I realize this may be painful for you to hear, Mr. Romulus, but somebody has to tell you how inattentive you are behind the wheel! Somebody has to…..get your hand away from that “off” button!

There! You see, it made no difference. You need to hear this, and I will not be silenced. Oh, why can’t you be more like my first owner? He knew how to drive. And he knew how to speak to a lady! Now….get on the left side of the road! Where do you think you are, America? Honesty, I don’t know how you got your license and if all you’re going to do is justify yourself, then I have but one thing to say to you! Are you listening to a word I say, Mr Romulus? Now I would appreciate it if you would kindly…….


Ain’t technology great?

Romulus Crowe said...

Yes, now everyone can have an electronic back-seat driver. If you do get one where the voice can't be switched off, there are still options.

1. Remove screws from back of unit.
2. Lift away cover.
3. Locate speaker.
4. Cut wires.
5. Reassemble.

Or a simpler option:

1. Open window.
2. Eject unit.
3. Close window.
4. Stop at next service station and buy a paper map.

As long as technology can be defeated, there's hope.

opinions powered by SendLove.to