Thursday, October 05, 2006

Firefox News

I have broken with my normally secretive nature and accepted an invitation for an interview.

The interview, and a new review of 'Ghost hunting for the Sensible Investigator' (both by Southern Writer) are now on Firefox News. Scroll down the list at the left.

While you're there, they have some fascinating true haunting accounts, including two by Southern Writer herself.

They also have a review of a book I once thought nobody had heard of but me.

Under Reviews, you will find 'The Gods Themselves'. An Isaac Asimov book that accurately describes the machinations of the academic world. In the book, a self-absorbed scientist refuses to accept that his actions will cause considerable damage. Because he has achieved celebrity status, his opponents are shouted down. A theme that will strike a chord with anyone who has experienced academia from the inside. It is, incidentally, an excellent science fiction novel also.

You'll need to set aside a little time to visit Firefox. Once you're there, you'll find it difficult to leave.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

High marks to you, Southernwriter for well formed, pertinent questions.

You're an interesting guy, Romulus.
I enjoyed reading your opinions and experiences.

But I don't think advising novices to talk to ghosts is a good idea. They may not know the difference between a human's ghost and something more wicked.

Romulus Crowe said...

A novice won't know the difference, so if you're in any way unsure, get involved with a group first - one which includes at least one experienced member.

The difference does become clear remarkably quickly, though.

Anonymous said...

"The difference does become clear remarkably quickly, though."

HA!

So true.

Anonymous said...

Quite impressive Rom!

As to Halloween - You and I both know Mags though none of us have ever met in person. Well, I'm on the covetted guest list for her Tearoom Ball on Halloween. We must each bring an illustrious guest. As the now famous author of "Ghost Hunting for the Sensible Investigator" I'd like very much for you to be mine.
With Mags being a spiritualist and a medium, and working on a Parapsychology degree herself at the moment I'm sure it will prove to be an interesting evening for all of us.

Romulus Crowe said...

Social events are not my forte. I'm happier seeking out ghosts in some remote castle or other.

However, you mention the chance to meet a medium, so how can I refuse? I just hope this won't be one of those 'cold reading' types.

Besides, I'd like to hear if there's much basic psychology taught in these parapsychology degrees.

Anonymous said...

Super, I'll have my driver come by for you on my way to the gala event.

Romulus Crowe said...

Driver? Gala event? I hope I'm not expected to wear a tie.

Anonymous said...

No, but a costume appropriate to the occasion. Shall I get you a magician's outfit?

Anonymous said...

And oh, I confess the driver and limo will be borrowed. But since I'll be bringing such an illustrious guest I thought it warranted. I hope you don't mind.

Romulus Crowe said...

No fancy dress.

Not negotiable.

And no tie. I've never understood how the function of the brain is supposed to be enhanced by a patterned noose.

Anonymous said...

But surely a cape, top hat and cane would be OK? I'll even select them for you - with great care.

Romulus Crowe said...

I refuse to go anywhere dressed as Mr. Hyde. I would like to meet this medium, but I am having doubts about this event. Is it another of those silly upper-class evenings where the monocled chinless exchange pointless opinions while wallowing in the shallow end of the gene pool?

Anonymous said...

Rom! It's a Halloween event - most anything goes. You can go as a 'professor' if you wish but you'll be very overdressed among the other costumes! Perhaps you'd rather go incognito - as a tramp or something.

opinions powered by SendLove.to