Saturday, January 07, 2006

News round-up

Some interesting items from Fortean Times (see links list). A wonderful magazine, with just the right balance of scepticism and open-mindedness. I recommend it to anyone with a real interest in the edges of reality.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4583670.stm

The new film, 'Into Great Silence', is a three-hour documentary on Carthusian monks. Yes, silent monks. So far it's being screened in Germany, but it must come to the UK at some point.

Three hours of silence. I could go for that.

I wonder if it has subtitles?


From Yahoo News

A concert that will take 639 years to perform has just sounded its second chord. It started in September, 2001 and it's a twenty-minute piece stretched out to unbelievable length.

I hope the venue is high enough to escape rising sea levels or the concert could be cut short. I wonder how many times you'd need to be reincarnated to hear the end of it?


http://www.underwatertimes.com/news.php?article_id=81091306425

Headline: Obsessed tourist 'marries' Israeli dolphin; 'I'm not a pervert'

I really can't add anything to that. The child's comment at the end says it all.


I can recommend daily visits to the Fortean Times site for snippets like these. You don't have to sign up for anything, so there's no danger of increasing the strain on your mailbox. I'll pick out a few now and then but they're updated daily and I'm not a mirror site. Take a look for yourselves.

No comments:

opinions powered by SendLove.to