Thursday, January 18, 2007

Batten down the hatches.

The weather is bizarre. 100 mph winds, yet still above freezing. Weather forecasters sound apologetic that temperatures 'might not get much above freezing overnight'. What do they think this is, July? It's not supposed to be above freezing during the day!

Anyway, since the winds have managed to blow over walls, I've put any investigation of derelict buildings on hold until the UK comes to some sort of decision over which season it's in.

There are also a few churches I want to visit. No, I'm getting neither married nor buried. There are many fine examples of ancient, pre-Christian, stones in churchyards. I plan to post a discussion of why that might be, but I'd like a few good photos to go with it. I'm not keen to end up beneath one of those stones though.

So, in the meantime, here's a link of no relevance whatsoever. Please don't pick up any drinks while watching.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

THAT was hilarious!

astrologymemphis.blogspot.com said...

My husband's grandfather to me: Tickle your ass with a feather?
Me: Excuse me?
Grandfather: Particularly nasty weather.
Me: um ... yeah.

The video was too funny. How do you find these things?

Can't wait to see the stones, but I do hope you stay indoors for a bit. Kick back with some good liquor and a cigar and stay toasty.

tom sheepandgoats said...

I recall a few years ago on the Art Bell show ( a late night show featuring the offbeat) some psychic (was it Ed Dames?) predicting that the future would see jet streams briefly touching earth. Does it feel like that where you are?

Romulus Crowe said...

The winds have stopped, and the snow has started. Not serious snow yet, just a smattering. I don't think the winds could be described as a jet-stream, but it was pretty fast!

I planned to visit the church a few days ago, but there was a funeral in progress. Taking photos during a funeral might well be productive but is likely to cause unrest. Besides, it only works if you know the people involved: an image of someone who shouldn't be there can only be identified by someone who knows who should have been there--if that makes sense!

Fortunately most UK churches have a pub close by, so I took refuge there.

astrologymemphis.blogspot.com said...

Too bad. I'll bet you would have gotten a shot of the deceased. And I would think you'd be able to recognize him / her by their transparency. I would have stayed out of sight and snapped a few off anyway.

Good plan on the pub. I was working in a rather risque pub a few years ago, and there was this really nice man I spoke to for a bit. He wasn't the typical customer, in that he was reserved and gentlemanly, so I liked him. He told me he'd buried his wife that very day. I'd never seen him before and never saw him again. People have unique ways of dealing with grief, I guess.

Romulus Crowe said...

There have been funerals at that church every day for the last few days. It's in a small village. They can't have many left. The churchyard, unfortunately, is too small to hide effectively.

It occurred to me later that, if I was the ghost, I wouldn't be at the funeral. I'd be in the pub.

Perhaps I'll take a few shots in the pub, next time.

opinions powered by SendLove.to