Monday, December 31, 2007

The impending 2008.

I notice the last few posts all start with ‘no’, which is depressing and overly negative. On the other hand, it is New Year’s Eve, a time to reflect on how miserable last year was and how much worse it can get next year. So perhaps the atmosphere of gloom is appropriate.

Here, the year is set to start with very cold weather, ice and snow. So it’s not all bad. There is traffic chaos predicted for the return to work on January 3rd (the Scots take New Year very seriously, so they are in no state to drive anywhere for two days afterwards).

Since I’m self-employed I don’t have to start on that date. I’ll let it all settle down a bit first. Besides, I plan to look over some derelict buildings and I won’t be doing that in the snow.

So I’ll be settling in for a week or so, going over data and looking for clues. Plenty of food, plenty of whisky, a good stock of cigars and windows shut tight. The cold spell is forecast to last only a few days so it should be business as usual shortly afterwards. Tonight I’m going out, tomorrow I’ll probably sleep late because even telemarketers take that day off so it’s the best day of the year for a lie in.

Happy New Year to all – I think this is the only purely secular holiday, other than bank holidays (which might be peculiar to the UK) so when I say ‘all’, I mean all.

4 comments:

Dr. Brainiac said...

And a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year to you as well. Cold here too (by my standards), but at least sunny. I've laid a fire and have the traditional black eyed peas and ham with cornbread on the groaning board. Theoretically there's a positive correlation between the amount of blackeyes one consumes New Year's Day and one's prosperity for the year. I'm not taking any chances. So far so good.

ThatGreenyFlower said...

"On the other hand, it is New Year’s Eve, a time to reflect on how miserable last year was and how much worse it can get next year. So perhaps the atmosphere of gloom is appropriate." -Ha!

A wonderful new year to you, Rom. If you want a bit of luck from the American South, remember to leave three black-eyed peas on your plate: one for health, one for wealth, and one for happiness.

LizBurton said...

Snowed in with plenty of food, whisky, and cigars? Not a bad way to kick off the New Year, if you ask me.

Have a great '08, Romulus.

Romulus Crowe said...

Hmm... Dr. S says eat all the peas, Greeny says don't eat all the peas... Good thing I didn't have any peas , eh?

Liz - the snow melted before the whisky ran out, which is a good thing whichever way you look at it.

It wasn't a proper snow, just a practice one. The real stuff will be along later.

opinions powered by SendLove.to