Saturday, February 25, 2006

Grammatically challenged

If you're going to send me a virus, and you expect me to open it, do try to learn to spell.

I had this one recently:

PayPal accounts review department: Your account temporally limited.

Temporally limited? Temporally limited?

Well, I suppose it is, in as much as I am temporally limited myself. When my time's up, the account will be unnecessary and therefore void.

Sending three at once, to three of my Email addresses, is just taking stupidity to a new level. Two of those addresses aren't even on my PayPal account.

The contents were the same as usual: threats of loss of account followed by 'open the attachment for details'. Come on. The attachment ends in '.exe'. Does anyone out there fall for this crap?

I've noted before that there are some internet users with pitiful IQ's and no common sense at all, but surely not that many? Presented with something that claims to be from your bank, yet looks as though it's been translated into Greek, then Mandarin, then Icelandic and back into English by someone who speaks only Polish, would you open it?

Some people would, it seems. That's why these cretins who write these viruses succeed.

Because of human gullibility.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Because of human gullibility."

And curiousity.
Two-edged sword though.
Smart + curious = innovation and invention.
Dumb/gullible + curious = "Oh no!"

Romulus Crowe said...

Not quite

Curiosity wonders about the unknown. Gullibility does what it's told.

Why the anonymous? Don't you have the courage of your statements? Are you SpongeBob, and just as substantial, or are you someone real?

Anonymous said...

Alas, I'm desperately shy and positively hideous, even in print. I shield you from my true self as a service to us both.

Maybe.

Or maybe I'm just cautious. You read smart and tart. Could be I'm tame and lame. You might hurt me.

Romulus Crowe said...

I assure you, I would never hurt anyone unintentionally.

Positively hideous is an oxymoron. There is nothing positive about hideous. Believe me, if you have the right number of arms, legs and eyes, I've seen worse.

Shy is a poor refuge. You have to learn to bite, and draw blood. Lacerate with words, twist with inflection. Say little, but make it cut deep.

Before you make friends with others, work out who you are and make friends with that.

Then you might make a worthwhile argument for me.

Anonymous said...

"I assure you, I would never hurt anyone unintentionally."

Am I to feel honored by your barbs? Hmmm, don the collar or not? What's the safe word? And
do I ever get to wield the whip? Haven't got one of my own. Borrow yours?

Romulus Crowe said...

Oh, now this is just getting kinky. I'm not a politician, you know.

opinions powered by SendLove.to